Sunday, March 10, 2013

100 Days Smarter




Since the 100th day of school came and went, time has felt like it's speeding up! It was precisely 8:42 when I began making this decoration for our door on the 100th day of school. I pressed the adhesive onto the door just as the first second grader rounded the corner to start their day and their reactions were SO worth it. Their faces absolutely lit up as they entered the classroom and all were very gentle so that all could enjoy our celebratory streamers all day.

The truth is, our students are 100 days smarter. Well, more than 100 days smarter now! When I take a moment to reflect on what students could do in late August as fresh second graders compared to what they can do now, I am floored. Some of you have been through life with a second grader before and some of you are new to this experience. Well, I'm right along with you newbies. This is my first year watching this seven and eight year old physical, emotional, and cognitive development process unfold. 

Our students' stamina in reading and writing is much longer. Their mental addition and subtraction is swifter. Their ability to construct many sentences in writing is far less laborious than at the beginning of the year. Their ability to explain their thinking is more cohesive. Their spelling requires less guessing-work on my part :). Their group work is more independent. Do you notice it? 

Can't wait to revisit this idea in June and behold what I find! 

On the 100th day of school, students produced self-portaits and accompanying paragraphs about what life will be like for them when they are 100. I recently sent these home. Did you enjoy them?!

No comments:

Post a Comment