Saturday, January 12, 2013

Ringing in 2013 with Great Habits

I've been meaning to post this for a while. I was super excited to ring in 2013 with our second graders after winter break. The night before, I couldn't sleep! My brain was busy thinking about what we'd do the next day, getting back into the swing of things at school. I was wondering how the students would come back to our classroom--would they need to readjust to our routines? Would they need reminders about classroom expectations after having a chunk of time off?

On that Wednesday we returned from break, I rushed to grab my camera at 8:50 am, after I stood at the door and wished a happy new year to our students coming in. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears! All I had said was "let's get this year started off right--peaceful and calm, focused and excited to learn--by getting right back to our routine of independent reading while you wait for Morning Meeting."



During this less than 10 minute snippet of time, our students gave me a sign. I took note of the evidence of maturity they were showing me, signaling they are growing as learners, as individuals, as a dynamic group.

Happy New Year to me! And to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment